Imagine an evening with mulled wine, an open fire, mince pies and loved ones. It doesn’t get more magical than this. Here is our favorite mulled wine recipe to warm your bellies and hearts and get you into the festive spirit. Christmas is just around the corner.
200 g caster sugar
6 whole cloves
1 cinnamon stick
3 fresh bay leaves
1 whole nutmeg , for grating
1 vanilla pod
2 bottles Chianti or other Italian red wine
2 star anise
- Peel large sections of peel from the clementines, lemon and lime using a speed-peeler.
- Put the sugar in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the pieces of peel and squeeze in the clementine juice.
- Add the cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and about 10 to 12 gratings of nutmeg.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthways and add to the pan, then stir in just enough red wine to cover the sugar.
- Let this simmer until the sugar has completely dissolved into the red wine, then bring to the boil. Keep on a rolling boil for about 4 to 5 minutes, or until you have a thick syrup.
- When your syrup is ready, turn the heat down to low and add your star anise and the rest of the wine.
- Gently heat the wine and after around 5 minutes.
- When it’s warm and delicious, ladle it into heatproof glasses and serve.