Carrot cake has a bad rep with a lot of people choosing instead to snack on other cakes, but this unsung hero is actually quite delicious if made right. If you have the right recipe not only will it be yummy, but it can be pretty simple to make successfully. Here is a foolproof carrot cake recipe that you can whip up quickly and enjoy. This recipe is great for fall and sure to impress!
Ingredients for the cake
• 1 cup sifted self-raising flour
• 2 large eggs
• ½ cup sunflower or vegetable oil
• 1 cup grated carrot
• 3 tablespoons brown sugar
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 cup chopped walnuts or raisins (these are optional and depends on your tastes)
Ingredients for the glaze:
• 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
• 3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make the carrot cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F or 180°C.
2. Spray or grease and flour Grease and flour a loaf pan (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch)
3. In a large mixing bowl combine the eggs and the white sugar using a hand or stand mixer. Combine until the eggs and sugar mixture is creamy and light.
4. In a separate small bowl add the cinnamon and brown sugar to the grated carrot and mix well. If you want to add some fall flavors you can also add a sprinkle of allspice or ground clove. Leave the mixture to stand while the sugar dissolves.
5. Add the oil to the egg and sugar mixture, making sure to stir it in well.
6. Slowly fold in the sifted flour to the egg mixture. It might be easier if you add half and then fold in the flour before adding the other half.
7. Lastly, gently fold the carrot mixture into the cake batter.
8. Add the mixture to the loaf pan and bake at 350°F or 180°C. for 40 minutes on the lowest shelf in the oven.
Pro tip: By folding in the flour instead of stirring the lightness of the mixture after beating the eggs and sugar is not lost. This means your cake will turn out light and fluffy.
How to make the glaze:
1. In a bowl sift the confectioners’ sugar
2. Slowly add the lemon juice, making sure to mix with a hand whisk as you pour to avoid any lumps.
3. Continue to mix with the whisk until smooth.
4. Drizzle the glaze over the cake and garnish with some lemon zest, chopped walnuts or poppy seeds.
This delicious cake is great for your next coffee or tea break Now all you need do is sit back and admire your handle work before they are all gobbled up!