Mashed potatoes can complement any meal and for many around the world, it has become a delicious comfort food. If you are tired of traditional mash recipes and want to step up your food game and try this great new no-peel mash recipe. This yummy take on traditional mash incorporates the creamy flavors of cheese with the delicate sweetness of red potatoes that will go great as a side dish or a main course. Keep scrolling for the full recipe and pro tips.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, unpeeled
1 peeled clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Gruyère cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
A dash of freshly ground nutmeg
- Place 1 tablespoon of course salt in 4 quarts of water and bring to the boil.
- Once the water begins to boil carefully add the unpeeled red potatoes and garlic clove. simmer until the potatoes are completely tender.
- Drain the potatoes and set the pot aside
- In a separate small pot, gently heat the milk, nutmeg, and butter, making sure not to bring to the boil.
- Once the butter is melted and the milk warm remove from heat.
- Return to the pot full of potatoes and with a potato masher, mash the potatoes.
- Slowly add some of the warmed milk mixture to the potatoes as you mash.
- Stir in the remaining salt, pepper, and cheese and serve immediately.
Pro tip- make sure not to add all your liquid to the mashed potatoes at once and make sure not to over stir or overwork the potatoes as this could leave them gluey.
As an alternative, you can bake the potatoes instead of boiling them. Simply coat the potatoes in foil and wrap in tinfoil and bake until tender.