Easter would not be Easter without hot cross buns. This magnificent creation is even better! A delicious hot cross bun cake, is the perfect dessert for your guests, they will certainly be not only amazed but extremely satisfied after this, as we are sure they will go for at least a second serving.
Zest and juice of 1 orange
Zest of 1 lemon
4 medium egg yolks
325 ml double cream
325 g mascarpone cheese
100 g raisins
100 g mixed peel
100 g chocolate chips
8 hot cross buns
1/2 tbsp icing sugar
1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- Measure the orange juice in a jug. Pour into a small pan with half the caster sugar and, over a low heat, dissolve the sugar. Turn up heat and simmer. Remove from heat, stir in the lemon and orange zest and set aside to cool.
- To make the filling, put egg yolks, remaining caster sugar and cognac, if using, into a bowl sat over a saucepan of simmering water. With an electric hand whisk, whisk until thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk for a few more minutes to help it cool.
- In a separate bowl, whisk cream until it just holds soft peaks. Whisk mascarpone into egg yolk mixture, then fold in the cream. Stir through 75g each of the raisins, peel and chocolate chips.
- Slice hot cross buns in half horizontally. Place the ring (without the base) of a 23cm springform cake tin on to a cake stand. Brush the inside with some of the orange sugar syrup. Squash about one third hot cross
bun pieces on to the bottom of the cake tin so they cover the base, then brush with the syrup. Spoon over one-third of mascarpone mixture. Repeat layering twice more, finishing with the mascarpone mixture. Chill to set overnight in the fridge.
- To serve, unclip cake tin ring and lift off. Sprinkle pudding with remaining mixed peel, raisins and chocolate chips.
In a small bowl, mix together icing sugar and mixed spice, then sift over pudding.Enjoy.