This Middle Eastern inspired Spring salad, is totally refreshing, full of goodness and has a delicious crunch to add excitement to each mouthful. This is great for weekend brunch.
- 2 loaves pita bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- salt and pepper
- 1 heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 5 tomatoes, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 5 radishes, stems removed, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh parsley leaves, stems removed
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 1/2 lime, juice of
- 1/3 cup Early Harvest Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp ground sumac
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- scant 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Toast the pita bread, until it is crisp but not browned. Heat 3 tbsp of olive oil in a large pan. Break the pita bread into pieces, and place in the heated oil. Fry until browned, tossing frequently. Add salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp of sumac. Remove the pita chips from the heat and place on paper towels to drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, green onions with the sliced radish and parsley.
- To make the lime vinaigrette, whisk together the lime juice, olive oil and spices in a small bowl.
- Dress the salad with the vinaigrette and toss lightly. Finally, add the pita chips, and more sumac if you like, and toss one more time. Transfer to small serving bowls or plates. Enjoy!