We don’t know about you, but when we think of the perfect apple pie, warm and gooey in the center, with the perfect amount of crust, topped with real vanilla ice cream, we get very excited. Get ready for a party on your tongue with this recipe, just in time for Thanksgiving celebrations. This dessert is as cosy as it gets, full to the brim with fall flavors and warming spices. This recipe is refined sugar-free, gluten-free and guilt free.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 8-12 tablespoons ice water
- 8-12 tablespoons cold greek or *non-dairy yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 – 4 tablespoons maple syrup/ coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 egg
- 5 large firm apples, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons almond flour ( or other gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of sea salt
- In a large bowl add flour, sugar (if using) and sea salt and mix slowly and gently.
- Take coconut oil and add into the flour mixture gently stirring your dough together you should get a mixture that looks like sand crumbs.
- Add ice water and yogurt one tablespoon at a time until you have a dough that stays together, if you choose to add an egg you may knead it into the dough gentle at this stage until fully combined.
- Knead dough into a ball until the dough sticks together.
- Roll dough into a ball and place it in the fridge wrapped in plastic wrap or parchment paper while you make the filling.
- In a large bowl add your peeled and sliced apples.
- Add all other ingredients and toss gently until your apples are fully combined.
- Cover your mixture while you roll out your dough.
- Preheat oven to 400 F .
- Take dough from the fridge and roll it out either on a floured surface or between two sheets of parchment paper until you have a thin layer of dough that is around 1/4 inch thick.
- Roll the dough onto the rolling pin and then unroll it onto your plate.
- Place your filling into the crust, making sure the apples lay flat and are layered evenly.
- For the top you can roll it out the same way as for the bottom layer and place on top of pie pressing the edges together with your fingers making a slice on the top for air to escape.
- Brush on your egg wash on the top layer of your pie and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake pie at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until top is slightly browned.
- After 20 minutes reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and cover your pie with aluminum foil and let bake for an additional 40-45 minutes.
- Remove when perfectly golden brown.
Serve hot with vanilla ice cream.