Today, October 25, celebrates World Pasta Day. Yep, you heard us right and we couldn’t wait to let you know. Pasta is a dish that we all love, and better yet, it is a dish that can be played with and added to as much as we want. It’s a great family meal that can bring everyone together and it never disappoints.
Did you know, the first dish of pasta was enjoyed in 1154 in Sicily. Oh, how they must have rejoiced!
A simple dish made up of durum wheat flour, water and eggs, it is one of the tastiest and quickest meals we can enjoy. And we don’t even have to worry about making it from scratch – there’s a wide variety of packaged pasta you can buy, and it won’t break your bank. But of course, we couldn’t celebrate World Pasta Day without giving you an awesome pasta recipe.
Creamy shrimp and mushroom pasta
What you’ll need:
8 oz fettuccine pasta |2 tablespoons olive oil | 1 lb. shrimp (10 big shrimp or 20 small shrimp without shells, deveined) | 3 garlic cloves, minced | 1/4 teaspoon dried basil |1/4 teaspoon paprika | 1/4 teaspoon salt | 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes | 8 oz mushrooms, thinly sliced | 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded | 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded | 1/2 cup milk | 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
• Cook the pasta according to instructions of the package. Drain and keep some of the pasta water. While the pasta is cooking, prepare shrimp alfredo sauce –
• Heat a large pan until hot and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and immediately add shrimp and garlic
• On medium-high heat, cook on one side for about 1 minute until pink
• Cook on other side and sprinkle with dry basil, paprika, crushed red pepper flakes, and salt, cook for another 1-2 minutes
• Remove the shrimp from the pan (don’t worry if shrimp is a little undercooked because you will continue cooking it in the sauce)
• Empty pan and add sliced mushrooms with more olive oil if needed
• Cook on high heat for about 2 minutes, occasionally stirring, until mushrooms become soft and release juices
• Add a small amount of salt during cooking
• Add the shrimp to the pan of mushrooms
• Add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup heavy or whipping cream
• Bring to boil, add all of the cheese, reduce to medium-simmer and stir until the cheese melts
• Cover with lid and remove from heat
• Add the cooked and drained pasta to the pan with the shrimp, mushrooms and creamy sauce
• Reheat on medium heat, stirring well (if the cream sauce is too thick and you want it thinner – add some pasta water in small amounts to the cream sauce – until you reach desired consistency)
• Season with more salt and add as much red pepper flakes and basil as you like
And, enjoy – Buon Appetito!